Anecdotes

1. A Loving Father

One Sunny day, I arrived at my shop at 12 noon sharp. A man in his late forties gave me a big smile and told me he had been waiting for me. He wanted to repair a small sling bag which his daughter had just bought over the internet. The hooks had broken (DOA).

Upon seeing his sincerity and politeness, I took a good look at his purchase and noticed that all the hardware used are of inferior quality and politely advised him that it is not worthy repairing. (some people actually gets angry when I do this, so I don't always do this) His daughter like it very much, he insisted.  So we went ahead with the repair ( the cost of which is more than the cost of the bag) replacing the broken hooks with quality hooks. He went back happy with the repair.

The following week, I notice the same big smile again when I reached my shop.  Its the zip that has broke this time, he told me. It was a mixed feeling for me. Happy that my 'prophecy' has came true but sorry for this nice guy that has not taken my advice. Let's do the repair and if more things break I will throw away the bag, he said. So we went ahead with the repair. The cost of which is again more than enough to buy a new bag. That was the last time I saw him.

2.Black synthetic leather sling bag

One day I open my whatsapp and there was an enquiry with several photos of a document bag. It says that the trimming are damaged and asked if it is possible to replace the entire trimming. Of course it can be done, I replied. Ok, I will drop by this evening, came an enthusiastic reply.

That evening, a good looking eurasian man came with the document bag. He explain that he had just bought the bag second hand over the internet and used for less than a week and noticed the entire trimming giving way.

As usual I examined the bag and found that except for the shell which is of good quality PVC, and the sling of quality nylon, the hardware of stainless steel, every other parts will also give way in no time. So I told him what I thought. He added that the PVC is of  LV equivalent material. But he do not wish to change every part yet. So we went ahead to replace all the trimmings only, even though I offered him a special price to change all.

About a month later, I got a call from him again and same thing he rushed down in the evening and discussed changing all the balance that he did not change. No discount.

Then he mentioned " You know, I saw another second hand bag in the internet which I want to buy............"

P.S. I have nothing against buying second hand bags over the internet and am pretty sure there are more sincere sellers than crooks.

3. Old School
Recently I was discussing the replacement of a zipper for a backpack with an elderly Caucasian gentleman. He remarked that the zip looked good but didn't last. He looked apprehensive when I advised that the zip be installed the 'normal' way when replaced.

But his eyes twinkle and was all smiles when I explain that the damaged zip is new school way of installation (so called waterproof) while I am proposing the 'old school' method of installing zip. Immediately the deal was done.

Really I am not against consumerism and focus on aesthetics at the expense of durability but being a responsible repair expert, and sometimes "kaypo", I have this strong inclination to remind my customers that the 'old school' should not be forgotten........  

Comments

Popular Posts